My Visit to the Competitive Image

Two weeks after winning the Miss International 2012 title, I was flown to Dothan, Alabama for my first official photo shoot with Clay Spann!I was excited, but nervous. I knew Clay was a phenomenal photographer from what I had seen on his website and from friends of mine, but would I be pretty enough? Mary Richardson and I headed over to the Competitive Image studio first thing in the morning.

It was pageant heaven! Racks of beautiful gowns and jewelry! Then, further into the store was Clay's studio area. There were pictures of beautiful women Clay had photographed plastered all over the walls.This was going to be a challenge keeping up with all the stunning, elegant and beautiful women.

Joey had picked out a few options for me to try on, but I’m keeping the details of each outfit a secret! Needless to say, each dress they had picked for me was more gorgeous than the next. Somehow, they had chosen pieces that reflected my style even though this was our first time meeting.  After the wardrobe was chosen, Clay and Terri started beautifying me!

Clay just looked at my face for a second and then poof! It seemed like magic. He picked colors and shades that looked great and he did my make up in a way that reflected my own personal make up style, but better! Now, I must tell you, I am pretty particular when it comes to my make up. I don’t use a lot of eyeliner - especially on the bottom. I must pencil in my brows, I need big lashes and big lips, and lots of contouring because I have a very round face and big cheeks! He did all those things without even having to ask! Every time I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, I got more and more giddy.

Terri followed along as Clay chose colors, wrote them all down for me, made notes of products I still need to buy, and put together my make-up kit. She’s a doll! They both helped explain where and how each product and color is applied. They also introduced me to rollers. I have never used them before because in the past, they never hold the curl or they are falling out constantly. So frustrating! They showed me how to put the rollers in, what product and size to buy, and wala! After a half hour in the rollers, my hair was soft, wavy, and touchable. No hair spray helmet here! Clay lightly spritzed some flyways and gave the crown a tiny bit of backcombing and we were ready to go!


Clay's work area is awesome! You can tell that this is his calling. It just seems to come so naturally for him. He has different levels of props to sit or stand on, and big reflectors. Every once and awhile he would turn the camera around so I could get a look and the shot we just took and WOW! It was like looking at a glamorized movie star – but it was me!! I cannot wait to see the final photos. The shot for the website should be up soon so make sure you check it every few days.

Oh, I forgot to mention how awful my skin is. I have lots of break outs and nothing seems to help, I have red rosy cheeks,and I am oily and dry at the same time so I am of course, very picky about the type of make up I wear. But, I have been using Clay's make up almost every day since I got it and I love it! It lasts all day and keeps a dewy fresh look. It matches my skin perfectly, and I always get compliments about it. Sending a huge hug and big THANK YOU to Clay, Joey, Terri and Mary! I had a wonderful couple of days working with you and getting to know you. They really are the nicest people ever! I am so excited to see the final photos!


Krista Wanous

Comments

Popular Posts